In the first post published on Monday, I talked about the launch failure due to a server problem on the first day itself. Today, I will be publishing more about the stupid “Driving License Counterpart” (here referred as DLCP), especially for those who will have to wait several weeks before laying their hands on theirs.
How it works?
Before going any further, let me quickly brief you about its use. The DLCP is a PAPER document which will be used to record all the points you scored after committing offenses on the road. Every driver starts with a balance of 0 points. The first driver to score
15 16 points will have his license suspended for a period of 6 months on top of the individual fines which still need to be paid. And things get worst if you win all the 15 16 points again after getting your licence back. lol ( And those with a Learner only will be penalized if they reach their 11th point)
I might cover this part in more details later on…
Do not fold!
This unique piece of document, the original one needs to be kept somewhere in your house where you won’t spill any coffee or tea on it. It needs to be produced only when you are going to court to pay for a fine or to attend your case related to an offense you committed. According to the genious technique they invented, they will feed your document to their printer so that your newly scored points can be printed on it.
If you damage the original document in any way, you will be required to pay an unspecified fee in order to print a fresh copy again. The authorities thought that giving away a free enveloppe with the DLCP will ensure that this piece of sh*t will be kept securely, without any damages.
Instead, they should have given a solid briefcase! Stupid people!
Instructions printed at the back of the Counterpart
I will just quote:
- Please do not fold this document
- You are requested to keep this licence counterpart in good condition
- In case of damage, a duplicate counterpart will be issued by the Licensing Officer upon payment of the prescribed fee. The damaged one will have to be surrendered.
- In case of loss, upon application, a duplicate counterpart will be issued by the Licensing Officer against payment of the prescribed fee and production of a memo from the Police Station where the loss has been reported
- An up to date photocopy of this document, in its actual size may be carried while you are driving and shall be produced when requested by a Police Officer, a Road Transport inspector or a Traffic Warden.
- The original of this counterpart together with the original licence card and National Identity Card of the licence holder must be produced at Court for payment of fines in respect of offences carrying Penalty Points
- In case of change of residential address, the licence holder has to call in person at the Licensing Office, bring along his original driving licence and original paper counterpart at the earliest possible
- Original or duplicate counterpart should not be plastified.
What about the photocopy?
As written on their document, I quote:
“The paper counterpart and driving license card together make up the complete driving license“.
I have no words to describe their illiteracy when trying to redefine the term “driving license”. Anyway, you ALWAYS need to carry both your “driving license” and the photocopy of the counterpart when you are driving. The driving license was already a large piece of paper and now, they stacked another paper on top of it. Thankfully, you can fold the photocopy one. *devil*
The printout itself
So, now you got your original piece of Driving Licence Counterpart but as stupid as they can be, they have printed out the web address of their system altogether. *Facepalm*
On top of that, they even need to strike out the following word and write it with a pen:
Over 500,000 documents to be printed
As per figured published, these are the number of documents that have been printed and will be distributed to all of the drivers in the island.
Wow, that makes a big deal of paper wastage and trees cut!
Maurice Ile Durable, C’est un Plaisir.