In 2008, some 300 persons showed food poisoning symptoms after consuming khebab in Flacq. Some weeks ago, about 150 persons needed medical treatment after eating cakes sold by “Patisserie Marday”, in the same region. (Defimedia figures). In October 2009, the authorities seized tons of meat from Innodis and a few days later, a prohibition order was issued to KFC, ordering the immediate closure of all KFC outlets. The discovery of Salmonella in their products soon became the talk of the town. I believe that this has been the most advertised case till now, especially with the rumors spreading about the arrival of Nandos in Mauritius.
A couple of weeks back, a Facebook friend (Neel) found a dead lizard in an Indian dish which he ordered in a restaurant situated on the Port Louis Waterfront. Disgusted, he informed the medias and he was kind enough to allow me to publish the picture of his plate.
Even Dhaneesha had once found a cockroach in her fried noodles in one of the most famous Chinese restaurants found along the “La Rue Royale” of Port Louis and 2 weeks ago, my cousins fell ill after consuming lobsters in another restaurant in Caudan.
Since yesterday, another restaurant has found its way to this ever growing list. The authorities ordered the temporary closure of a prestigious restaurant in Trianon, the “Imperial China” because of non-respect of the regulations mentioned in food act.
Among the so many cases reported till now, you have surely concluded that street food is not the only one concerned. I even heard people talking about the disgusting practice in some hotel kitchens. You might be shocked to know that a close person once told me :
“Rice thrown in the bin was served to customers.”
Believe me, that happened in the kitchen of a 5 stars hotel!
There’s a serious problem with food and hygiene nowadays. Many people have already stopped consuming food outdoors, whether for a pair of a dholl puri at Rs12 or a piece of Lobster of several hundred rupees. The several food poisoning cases have definitely changed the eating habit of the Mauritian population. More and more people are now choosing healthier food and prefer carrying their home made food in their tiffins.
The concerned authorities have been doing a good job till now, thumbs up to them. They have shown that they can produce results if they have the determination.
To end with this post, here’s some words from the local sega group, Monaster :
“Faire attention danger, guet bien kant to manzer.
Ena malade la dansssssss! Ena malade la dansssssss! Ena malade la dansssssss!”